Understanding Childhood Neglect
Date & Time:
THIS TRAINING IS FOR PROFESSIOANLS WORKING WITH PORTSMOUTH CHILDREN AND FAMALIES AND WILL FOCUS ON PORTSMOUTH PROCESS AND PRACTICE. IF YOU DO NOT WORK IN PORTSMOUTH PLEASE VISIT YOUR RESPECTIVE SAFEGUARDNG PARTNERSHIP FOR TRAINING
Aim: To enable multi-agency staff to identify children and young people who are experiencing neglect, to assess and provide services for children and families, to develop skills in assessing parental capacity to change, and to use effective tools for intervention, monitoring and review.
- Identify the key objectives for Portsmouth Safeguarding Children Board Neglect Strategy 2018-2020
- Describe the short and long terms impact of neglect on children's physical, emotional and social development
- Recognise early indicators of neglect and ensure that early help assessment is carried out to identify a co-ordinated response providing multi-agency support for the child and their family
- Describe how the brain develops pre-birth, after birth and during adolescence and recognise the importance of early help for children and teenagers who experience neglect and abuse.
- Construct comprehensive analytical chronologies to explain the impact of neglect and cumulative harm
- Explain the impact of personal and professional values and beliefs when working with issues of neglect
- Apply models of restorative practice and partnership working to engage with families
- Apply models and tools to assess parental capacity to change and to review and monitor that change over time
- Take appropriate action to protect children and young people where sustained change cannot be achieved
- Identify appropriate strategies and interventions when working with families where neglect is a concern including the Portsmouth Neglect Tool
Who is it for: This is a commissioned course delivered by Family Action and is available for those working with children, young people and families in Portsmouth.
Time: This is a one day course
Certificate: Full attendance is mandatory to qualify for a certificate which you will receive at the end of the day.
Prerequisite: To have completed Basic Safeguarding or equivalent within 3 years; Early Help & Child Protection training or equivalent experience.